Looking for a delicious carb source to have alongside your meal? Why not choose potatoes?
Potatoes have gotten a bad rap over the years as many people associate them with being very high on the glycemic index and not something that you should be eating on a day to day basis.
But, potatoes actually offer a number of benefits. Here are a few things you stand to gain:
- May help lower your blood pressure thanks to their high potassium content
- Are a great source of energy-boosting carbohydrates – perfect for that intense workout session you have planned
- Offer a good dose of vitamin B6, which can help to promote a healthy metabolism and the growth of new tissue cells
- May help promote better overall heart health thanks to their high fiber content (3 grams per potato!)
- Thanks to the fiber found in the skin of the potato, as long as you don’t peel them, they won’t spike blood glucose levels as much as you may believe
- Are highly versatile – there are so many delicious ways to prepare and serve a potato
- Are lower in calories compared to pasta or rice at just 161 per one cup baked.
Don’t fear the potato any longer… consider adding it into your diet plan today!